Follow the Trail to Find the Yummiest Chocolates for Easter
Thursday, Mar 29, 2018. Written by Benson Holland.
During Easter there are a number of places in the area selling all types of wonderful treats. So, join us as we hop, skip, and jump along the Margaret River Easter Trail in search of the perfect chocolate. Here are our favourite local chocolatiers.
- Because of the early operating hours, we recommend that you begin your chocolate trail at the Margaret River Farmers’ Market. It is open from 8AM to Noon on Saturdays only, and is located on the Margaret River Education Campus, at 272 Bussell Highway, Margaret River. Here is where you’ll find Harlequin Chocolate and Calvacade Desserts. All of the decadent chocolates are hand made locally by Nadia Haskell. The Harlequin specialises in truffles, pralines, and bonbons, made with extra exquisite Italian and French cocoa butter. Nadia is also renowned for her talent in combining spices and herbs into some of her creations that delight and please both the nasal passages and the taste buds. For the Easter holiday, you can purchase hand painted chocolate eggs, passion fruit and fudge filled eggs, and macadamia truffles that will make any Easter egg event a real celebration.
- Next on the trail is the Margaret River Fudge Factory, just a hop up the road from the Farmers’ Market, at 152 Bussell Highway, Margaret River. The shop opens daily at 10AM. The fudge factory is locally owned and operated, all of their taste tempting fudge creations, truffles, pralines, deluxe chocolate treats, and chocolate coffee beans are hand made using traditional artisan skills. For Easter, they have crafted chocolate, spotty dotty eggs, ducks, rabbits, and birds. Who can resist the tongue pleasing sensation of melt-in-your-mouth chocolate fudge or specialty chocolates? Certainly no one who enters the Fudge Factory.
- Staying in the same area, Temper Temper is next on the chocolate trail. It is only daily from 9 AM to 5PM, and located at 2 Rosa Brook Road, Margaret River. This chocolate shop is a true chocolate lover’s paradise, including treats that are designed for those wanting healthy, more cacao concentrated pieces, and sugar free options. This chocolate haven has more than 175 shelves fully stocked with heavenly, handmade chocolate creations from traditional chocolates to those filled with fruits, berries, spices, and a number of different spices. As if that were not enough to stimulate your senses, you can watch the gourmet chocolatiers in action through the large kitchen window. And, here is the best part; if you a special chocolate creation that is not already available, you can put on an apron and design your own chocolate treat at the DIY chocolate bar.
- Now you can skip on over to Bettenay’s Margaret River Nougat Company, located at the corner of Tom Cullity Drive and Miamup Road, Cowaramup. They are open 7 days a week from 10 AM to 5 PM. Nougat might not come to mind as a routine Easter treat, but that’s only because you have yet to taste Bettenay’s luxurious chocolate nougat. For those seeking a special taste for their Easter treats, the Nougat Company offers a once yearly four pack container that features the region’s most delectable chocolate nougat bars. Also available in the store is their very own Nougaretto liqueur that will amaze the taste buds of every adult Easter Bunny. A liquid sensation not to be passed up.
- Jumping a little further north, is the award winning Margaret River Chocolate Company, located at 415 Harmans Mill Road, Metricup. This chocolate company is open daily from 9 AM to 5 PM and is a very popular chocolate location amongst visitors, tourists, and local residents. There are free chocolate tasting tables, more than 200 different chocolate products available for purchase, and they also offer a hot chocolate drink to indulge your inner craving for a warm taste of heavenly delight. Easter is a special time at the Chocolate Company. There are daily Easter egg hunts as well as frequent visits from the Easter Bunny. There are novelty Easter creations such as Quokkas, Bilbies, Bunny Rabbits, Truffles, and traditional eggs. This is truly one chocolate location not to be missed.
- Finally, as we trail back to Forest Rise, we recommend a small, locally crafted chocolate treat from Margaret River’s Bahen & Company. Their unique chocolates are based on a blend of stone-grown cocoa beans directly purchased from top quality cocoa farmers across the globe and made on the family farm using vintage, traditional chocolate manufacturing equipment. The owner, Josh Bahen is a former Margaret River vintner who has converted his taste buds and talents to the wonderful world of chocolate. Bahen specialises in upscale, 70% dark chocolate pieces that are loaded with awesome flavour and glamorously packaged like classical holiday presents. A perfect blend of taste and beauty. Bahen & Company is small scale family operation that does not have a storefront, but their mesmerising chocolate treats are stocked in a number of Margaret River stores such as The Vasse Virgin, The Larder, The Blue Ginger, and in the gift shop at the Leeuwin Estate winery. Their chocolate selection is also available online at http://bahenchocolate.com/.
We hope that you find your ideal Easter chocolate treats and have an enjoyable and memorable Easter holiday in Margaret River. Should you find another local chocolate treasure that is not listed above, please let us know so that we can take your recommendation into consideration for inclusion when developing next year’s Chocolate Easter Trail.