Forest Rise Warming Winter Getaways
Although we often think about getaways in the summer months, there are some delightful opportunities to relax and enjoy the Margaret River Region this winter.
Three Things to Love About Winter in the Margaret River Region
1. Watching Majestic Whales Make Their Winter Pilgrimage
If adventure is on your winter to-do list, be sure to consider making the 30-minute drive to Augusta for some whale watching. Winter is the perfect time to catch sight of southern right, humpback, and blue whales as they make the annual migration north.
One of the many whale watch tours will take you up close to the whales as they make their way on their journey. Whales tend to be curious creatures, and it is not unusual for one or two of these gentle giants to swim straight up to the boat and take a look at the human visitors.
If you would prefer to watch whales from dry land, Augusta has several lookout spots where you catch sight of the whales. Mid-day is the best time for you to spot the whales, and they are easier to see if the water is calm. Both Flinders Bay and Cape Leeuwin are great places to look for beautiful creatures. The Cape Leeuwin Lighthouse is another popular spot for whale watching on dry land. The tallest lighthouse on mainland Australia is a 10-minute drive south of Augusta, at the end of the Leeuwin Road.
2. An Uncrowded Journey Along the Wadandi Track
Formerly known as Rails to Trails, the Wadandi Track is a dream for hiking or biking enthusiasts. Impressive scenery and a well-maintained path make the trail a destination unto itself. The Wadandi Trail is 23 km long and is classified as a Grade 2 trail from start to finish. Families with children should do well on this trail.
3. Enjoying a Cosy Winter Lunch at One of the Many Local Wineries
- Cullen Winery Restaurant: If you enjoy seasonal fare skillfully presented in a welcoming atmosphere, make time to visit Cullen Winery Restaurant. Just 18 minutes from Forest Rise, the restaurant features a seasonal menu paired with the exquisite Cullen Wines. You can dine at the Cullen Winery Restaurant from 11:30 am-2:45 pm Tuesday through Friday.
- Vasse Felix: For a selection of fresh local ingredients crafted by an award-winning chef, lunch at Vasse Felix is a must. One of the Margaret River Regions’ first wineries offers an impeccable menu that pairs beautifully with their internationally known wines. Vasse Felix is a quick 15-minute drive from Forest Rise. The restaurant is open for lunch daily from noon to 3:00, and reservations are suggested.
There is so much to love about winter in the Margaret River Region. From whale watching to scenic hiking to getting cosy in front of a fire with a bottle of one of Margaret River’s best vintages. There is no need to hibernate when you can celebrate all the region offers this winter.
Forest Rise Snuggle & Save Winter Special (Valid until 31st of August)
Stay 3 nights and receive 50% off your fourth night of accommodation. Includes a mini loaf of Margaret River Woodfired Bread, Southern Forests Raw Forest Harvest Honey, a bottle of Howard Park Red AND a house-made S’mores kit to complete your wintery getaway down south.
For information about accommodations, contact Forest Rise and plan the getaway of your dreams.